Cauliflower is a low-calorie, low-glycemic alternative to rice that is higher in fiber and phytonutrients. This recipe has the same indulgent, savory taste as your favorite fried-rice, except without the MSG, toxic canola and/or vegetable oil and of course, the rice.
Cooking cauliflower also makes it easier to digest, as the heat breaks down the fibrous cell walls that cause bloating issues in Vatas and Kaphas. The sesame oil has warming qualities, which also counterbalances the cold properties of cauliflower. This dish is Tri-Doshic, meaning Vatas, Pittas and Kaphas can all benefit from it.
If you don’t know your Dosha, or mind-body type, take my free quiz here. I’ve included notes next to the ingredients with little modifications you can make for each Dosha.
Easy Ayurvedic Cauliflower "Fried-Rice"- Vegan and Paleo.
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (can be reduced for Pittas)
- 1 head of cauliflower, riced (directions below)
- 2 green onions, diced (can be reduced for Pittas)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- ½ cup edamame, preboiled (can be removed for Vatas)
- 2 cups your choice chopped vegetables: broccoli, carrots, snow peas, bamboo shoots, etc
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos or tamari (which are healthier alternatives to soy sauce)
- Remove the leaves of the cauliflower and cut the base of the root then chop cauliflower into chunks.
- Pulsed in a food processor until fine and rice-like OR grated with a cheese grater. Stir through to make sure there are no remaining chunks. It should be light and airy, looking similar to rice.
- Bring the sesame oil to medium-high heat in a large pan.
- Add the garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the riced cauliflower, green onion, spices, edamame, veggies and liquid aminos/tamari
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the cauliflower is tender, stir often.
- Serve immediately.
Sahara Rose is your mind-boy healer. She's an Ayurvedic/ Holistic/ Sports Nutritionist and the upcoming author of "The Idiot's Guide to Ayurveda." She teaches workshops around the world on how to eat right for your mind-body type and sacred self-care, including the upcoming Movement is Medicine Retreat in Costa Rica (register at movementismedicineretreat.com). Discover your unique mind-body type and find the best foods for your digestive system, mental characteristics and more on her website www.eatfeelfresh.com, and for daily recipes and healing inspiration, follow her on Instagram @eatfeelfresh