Question: What is more quintessentially vegan than a tofu scramble? Answer: Nothing. This Monday I’m sharing my favorite twist on a veg staple. When I was a kid I loved to smush my scrambled eggs between my two pieces of buttered toast and eat it like a sandwich. Once I kicked animal products to the curb, I was determined to find a new breakfast favorite. Well, after lots of trial and error and dollops of guacamole I developed the perfect substitution. This recipe is great because you can do it as a hearty breakfast sandwich or deconstruct it for avocado toast and have the tofu scramble on the side. More of a light breakfast type of gal? No problem, this guy is filling enough to have as breakfast for dinner with a side of your favorite fakin’ bacon. Unlike the cholesterol, fat, and sodium laden breakfast sandwiches I used to eat, this one is packed with protein, fiber, and good fats. The crisp fresh cucumbers contrast the soft warm tofu and the spicy guacamole gives the whole dish a nice kick. Whether you’re starting your day off with this bad boy or enjoying it for dinner, its bound to have you full and satisfied without any bloat or fatigue.
Ingredients: serves 3-6
- 3 green onions, slice thinly and separate green tops from white bottoms
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2-3 small carrots grated
- ½ medium zucchini grated
- 1 block extra firm tofu crumbled
Seasoning for scramble:
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Pinch salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- ½ tsp dill
- I like ezekiel bread for this
- Cucumber or tomato (or both)
- Spicy guacamole*
- The first thing I like to do with recipes like these which require lots of chopping and mincing and mixing is prepare all the ingredients so they can just be thrown in the pan. This process is often referred to as mise en place which means everything in its place. Note: this is the only area of my life in which I employ this phrase. I also like to press the water out of the block of tofu.
- Once everything is prepared, add the coconut oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the white part of the green onion and the garlic and saute for approximately 30 seconds then add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned
- At this point add the carrot and zucchini and saute until soft and fragrant
- While the veggies are simmering, take the block of tofu and crumble it into a bowl with your hands. (This is my favorite part because I am a perpetual child)
- Mix the seasoning into the tofu being sure to really mix it into all the nooks and crannies then add to the pan
- Toss everything together over medium heat.
- Once all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated spoon onto toast. Top with guac, cucumber or tomato, and sprouts
- Dig in!
*Another option is to use vegan mayo instead of guacamole for a more sandwich-ey vibe